The Twist, 1.49 acres of broadleaved woodland near to Eakring, between Mansfield and Newark in the county of Nottinghamshire for £20,000 (freehold) [#M1518]
A beautiful hazel with oak woodland well defined boundaries. Positioned in a peaceful part of a larger Ancient Woodland, with superb vehicular access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 120
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SK 675 602
- Centre of wood: SK 679 596
Nearest postcode: NG22 8PA
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
The Twist is a delightful broadleaved wood sitting in the heart of an Ancient Woodland site. This tranquil and unspoilt woodland set in the gentle hills of rural Nottinghamshire offers great potential for the new owner.
The wood is mainly composed of hazel stools, elm, field maple, elder and thorn with a few standards throughout. The canopy is distinctly lower because of the dominance of smaller trees giving a sheltered secluded feel.
The larger sized standards dotted within include oak, ash and sycamore and amongst these you will also find the odd sprit of holly, box and yew. The forest floor is uncluttered and free to walk, but tread carefully, mind the orchids, stitchwort, celandine and dog’s mercury during the warmer months!
There is a large layby that is grassed over which provides a place to park and carry out your woodland activities. From here there is a short track leading into the trees.
Access to the wood is via a hard stoned track that is suitable for a car in all seasons. The track leads from the unclassified council road via a secure locked gate and meanders through the wider forested landscape. The Twist is situated off the main track and is very quiet, with no public rights of way making it a very private place to get away from it all. It is the perfect choice for those looking to own a secluded woodland for leisure purposes, including camping, or for simply getting closer to nature. There is also plenty of scope for the new owner to actively manage the woodland to produce small quantities of quality firewood, canes and poles from the hazel coppice.
The entire wood is designated as Ancient Woodland and it is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) relating to plants and features that are common in old woodlands.
The entire forested area has 7 years remaining on a 10 year management plan outlining, without obligation, the potential future management of the woodland that is in tune with the aspirations of SSSI.
If It Were Mine
I would strim the open area to extend its use, remove some of the trees that are being suppressed or in poor health and replant. Dead wood habitats and some nesting boxes are a nod to the beasties! The continued rotation of cutting the hazel stools in would invigorate them once again.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head east from Mansfield on the A617
- Stay on the A617 (Kirklington Road) dual carriageway bypassing Rainworth.
- Go straight over the roundabout that meets the A614.
- After 4 miles turn left on to Eakring Lane
- Follow the road for approximately 1.5 miles until you arrive at a carpark at the entrance to the forest, with a Red Rock Forestry sign on the gate (point A on the plan below).
- Park here and continue on foot, (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewing).
- Continue walking for 730 metres passing another gate (point B), then bearing right at point C.
- Continue through the gate for 200metres to point D.
- At D bear right for 100 metres to point E in the plan, this is the start of The Twist on your left.
- The north, west and south boundary is the outside edge of the track indicated by red paint on wooden posts and trees that may be offset by a short distance.
- The east boundary is indicated in part with white paint and blue paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
- There is a historic exception to this where a named person in the title document could enter the property to take fox, however we believe this is unlikely to be exercised.
- The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
- The rights to extract oil are reserved to a previous owner and we believe these are unlikely to ever be exercised.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood.
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the route ABCDE and DG.
- A right of way is reserved over the route EFG for the benefit of the land beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
There are no known fencing obligations.
The woodland is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). To view the citation click on the following links.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.