Rookshead Wood, Eakring, near Mansfield and Newark in the county of Nottinghamshire. 2.41 acres of mature broadleaved woodland for £28,000 (freehold) [#M1354]
A mixed ash woodland with a variety of other tree species. Positioned in a peaceful part of a larger Ancient Woodland, with 2WD vehicular access and a large open glade.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 120
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SK 675 602
- Centre of wood: SK 678 594
Nearest postcode: NG22 8PA
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Rookshead Wood is a spectacular mixed broadleaf woodland set in peaceful rural Nottinghamshire. It occupies two distinct levels, the lower section is an open glade and the upper section tree’d including a small hard surfaced area. The dominant species you will find here are oak, beech and ash with abundant nut and thorn residing in the lower canopy.
The nearby village of Kirklington and Eakring are a short distance away providing basic amenities. Mansfield is a 10 minute drive with Nottingham 20 minutes.
A securely gated and surfaced access track extends 1.2 km to the woodland boundary from the east which descends to a level area that would be useful to park and/or to process felled trees. Another track that accesses the wood from the northwest brings you to the open area that would be great for the kids to let loose and have a ‘kick about’. This area would also be suitable for planting up with native woodland trees species.
This Ancient Woodland site has been under tree cover since records began in the 1600s. It is ecologically rich with a great diversity of plants attracting birds and insects. Of particular note is a chance hare or mouse that can be seen, along with numerous birds including the woodcock, woodpecker, tree sparrow, buzzard and there may also be a goshawk! Woodland mammals include badgers, an occasional fox and roe deer.
Historically the area formed part of the UK’s first on-shore oilfield and was in operation during the mid-1940s; the well heads were sealed many years ago. It has since been designated as a SSSI noting the significance of the woodland habitats that lie within.
A woodland such as this offers a range of opportunities for activities such as camping and woodland crafts. Rookshead Wood would also be a great investment for anyone with a passion for the outdoors.
The entire forested area has 8 years remaining on a 10 year management plan outlining, without obligation, the potential future management of the woodland.
If It Were Mine
I would flail the open area to extend its use, additionally remove some of the trees that are being suppressed or in poor health and use the wood to create some dead wood habitats and perhaps put up some nesting boxes
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head east from Mansfield on the A617.
- Stay on the A617 (Kirklington Road) dual carriageway bypassing Rainworth.
- Go straight over the roundabout that meets the A614.
- After 4 miles turn left on to Eakring Lane
- Follow the road for approximately 1.5 miles until you arrive at a carpark at the entrance to the forest, with a Red Rock Forestry sign on the gate (point A on the plan below).
- Park here and continue on foot (sorry, we do not provide keys for viewing).
- Continue walking for 730 metres past another gate (point B), then bearing right at point C.
- Continue through the gate for 330 metres to point D and stay straight and continue a further 210 metres to point S, this is the start of the wood.
- The northeast boundary is indicated with green paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The east boundary is the the outside edge of the track
- The southwest boundary is indicated with red paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The west boundary is the edge of the track indicated with blue paint on wooden posts that may be offset by a short distance, and boundary trees.
- The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
- There is a historic exception to this where a named person could enter the property to take fox, we believe this is unlikely to be exercised.
- The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
- The oil rights are reserved to a previous owner and we believe these are unlikely to be ever exercised.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood.
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes over the routes ABCDEFGH and DS.
- A right of way is reserved over the route ST for the benefit of the land beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use
There are no known fencing obligations.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market (please ensure you are in a position to fund the purchase before doing this):
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.