Great Wood, Woodcote, Oxfordshire. 1.28 acres of spectacular mature beech woodland in a tranquil location, 8 miles from Reading. £17,000 (freehold) [#S1329]
A lovely example of Ancient Woodland in rural Oxfordshire with excellent roadside access, 40 miles west of London.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 175
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SU 648 808
- Centre of wood: SU 648 807
Nearest postcode: RG8 0RT
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Located in a peaceful part of Oxfordshire situated just south of Woodcote village, Great Wood forms part of a wider forested area known as Birchen Copse. The woodland sits among gently sloping fertile loam over clay soils, perfect for the majestic beech that dominate the copse. Historically managed for its good timber qualities to service the once prosperous furniture industry in nearby High Wycombe, the woodland has now become a thriving wooded habitat.
Below the mature beech canopy, birch, holly and occasional sweet chestnut complement the tall beech stems. There is also a good quantity of beech regeneration (the seedlings and saplings are shade tolerant, a common species trait after early establishment).
Vibrant green brachythecium moss offers an interesting layer to the woodland floor along with some colourful fungi that appear during the latter parts of the year. These include fly agaric, oyster mushroom and scarlet elf cup. Regular woodland visitors include deer (roe and muntjac), badger, common dormouse, the long-eared owl, buzzards and many tuneful songsters.
Great Wood offers potential for a weekend woodsperson and benefits from good access, serviced by a hard track navigable with a 2WD drive vehicle.
If It Were Mine
I would certainly make an area for occasional overnights and bushcraft during the summer months, observing visiting wildlife. A little of the beech wood if chipped would be perfect for my meat smoker at home. This is also a great copse for an enthusiastic mycologist!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the edge of Reading take the A4074 north towards Wallingford and Oxford.
- Approximately 1 mile past Cane End turn left onto the B4526.
- Follow this road for another mile and then turn right for Woodcote.
- The entrance for the wood can be seen on the right-hand side of the road after 550 metres indicated by a Woods4sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable place not obstructing the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Climb the gate and the woodland is immediately to the right of the track.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts and hanging post on the outside of the track.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by green paint on occasional wooden posts on the inside of the track.
- The southwest boundary is indicated by the earth bund with the public highway beyond.
- The southeast boundary is indicated by blue paint on occasional wooden posts and trees.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is reserved at all times and for all purposes over the route AB for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- There is a right of way granted at all times and for all purposes over the route BC on the plan below.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the shared rights of way with liability according to use.
- There is a public footpath running diagonally through the centre of the woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.