Rusland Wood, Woodcote, Oxfordshire. 1.64 acres of marvellous mature beech in a rural location, 8 miles from Reading. £23,000 (freehold) [#S1104]
An attractive example of ancient broadleaf woodland in the Oxfordshire countryside, 9 miles from junction 12 of the M4 and 1½ hours’ drive from London.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 175
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SU 648 808
- Centre of wood: SU 650 806
Nearest postcode: RG8 0RT
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Part of a wider forested area, Rusland Wood sits in a peaceful part of rural Oxfordshire, just south of Woodcote village.
The site slopes gently to the northeast and contains good fertile soils, ideal for the superb beech that dominate the location. Rusland Wood was historically managed for its fine timber crop to service the once thriving furniture factories in nearby High Wycombe. Below the mature canopy, holly, birch and the occasional sweet chestnut complement the tall stems of beech. There is also a good amount of strong beech regeneration towards the south-eastern corner, this is a common species trait after initial establishment as beech seedlings and saplings are shade tolerant.
Lush green brachythecium moss provides an attractive covering to the woodland floor with some impressive colourful fungi that make an appearance during the latter parts of the year. These include fly agaric, oyster mushroom and scarlet elf cup. Rich populations of wildlife can also be seen and heard including the long-eared owl, badger, common dormouse, roe and muntjac deer.
This manageable woodland is highly accessible benefiting from a recently upgraded track suitable for a two-wheel drive vehicle.
If It Were Mine
I would begin by clearing a few of the attractive open spaces for camping during the warmer months taking advantage of the tranquil location. I would also harvest a little firewood to fuel the log burner at home.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the edge of Reading take the A4074 north towards Wallingford and Oxford.
- Approximately 1 mile past Cane End turn left onto the B4526.
- Follow this road for another mile and then turn right for Woodcote.
- The entrance for the wood can be seen on the right-hand side of the road after 550 metres indicated by a Woods4Sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable place not obstructing the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Climb the gate and continue along the track, keeping right at the first junction (point B).
- Continue for roughly 190 metres where you will arrive at a pull-in on the right (point C).
- This is the entrance to Rusland Wood.
- The northwest boundary is indicated by wooden posts and trees painted orange.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by wooden posts painted green.
- The southwest boundary is indicated by the fence.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABCD on the plan below.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
This woodland is being sold on a fixed price basis. We require the following information in writing before we mark a woodland as sold and take it off the market:
- The name and price of the woodland
- Confirmation you have viewed the woodland
- Full name (including middle names), address, phone number and date of birth of all legal purchasers
- The full contact details of the solicitor who has been instructed
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.