Hepplewhite, 1.5 acres of mature broadleaf woodland near the village of Woodcote in a peaceful area of Oxfordshire for £19,000 (freehold) [#S1079]
A highly attractive beech woodland within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in south east Oxfordshire, yet only 9 miles from junction 12 of the M4.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 175.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SU 648 808.
- Centre of wood: SU 651 806 .
Nearest postcode: RG8 0RT.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Hepplewhite is a superb mature beech dominated Ancient Woodland ideally located at the southern end of the Chiltern Hills, fringing the small village of Woodcote.
This grand woodland pays homage to the historical management carried out that drove the thriving furniture industry in nearby High Wycombe during the 1870s. The remnant of a track flanked with brachythecium moss leading into the wood evidences the woodland’s past. The fertile loamy soil creates some good natural beech regeneration in the understory, as well as some impressive holly, some of which attractively adorns the lower reaches of the fine tall beech stems. There are a number of open areas and small hollows that would make good overnight camping locations.
This wonderful wooded environment has become home to abundant wildlife populations that can be heard and spotted throughout, including long-eared owl, roe deer and the magpie inkcap mushroom.
Hepplewhite benefits from a recently fenced southern boundary with access along a hard track suitable for a 2WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
I would take advantage of the unique environment spending nights out camping using the open areas and hollows practicing woodlore. I would also yield a small amount of domestic firewood from the holly utilising its dense and long burning capability.
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the edge of Reading take the A4074 north towards Wallingford and Oxford.
- Approximately 1 mile past Cane End turn left onto the B4526.
- Follow this road for another mile and then turn right for Woodcote.
- The entrance for the wood can be seen on the right-hand side of the road after 550 metres indicated by a Woods4sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable place and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Continue along the track, keeping right at the junction (point B) for approximately 110 metres.
- From here, continue for 190 metres to point C.
- The woodland entrance is to the left of the boundary fence.
- The northwest boundary is marked with blue paint on trees and wooden stakes.
- The northeast boundary is marked with yellow paint on trees and wooden stakes.
- The southern boundary is marked by the fence and a wooden stake with green paint.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route ABC on the plan below.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.