Adze Wood, near Northchapel, West Sussex. 1.53 acres Ancient Oak and mixed broadleaf woodland. £19,500 (freehold) [#E931]
An attractive woodland with excellent access and open views of the surrounding landscape. Perfectly located in the heart of the South Downs National Park.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SU 951 299.
- Centre of wood: SU 948 303.
Nearest postcode: GU28 9EH.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Adze Wood is an Ancient Woodland nestled in rural Sussex in the heart of England’s newest National Park, the South Downs. Haslemere is five miles to the southeast, whilst the coastal city of Chichester is 30 minutes by car.
The wood is approached by a recently upgraded, locally quarried sandstone forest track. This defines the length of the southern and western boundaries. To the north are pleasant views of open fields and rolling countryside. An old ivy clad gate leads into the neighbouring field to the northwest corner, although this is now redundant as there is no right of way in or out of the gate.
A number of veteran oaks can be found in the wood, most notably an enormous oak with a vast trunk diameter rising high into the upper canopy. Other tree species include ancient sweet chestnut coppice, birch and in the understorey holly and hazel. In spring the level woodland floor is covered in carpets of bluebells and scattered with wildflowers of wood anemone and dog’s mercury.
In summer this fertile wood is bursting with ferns and grasses and the birdsong of warblers and other members of the varied bird population fills the air. A truly excellent biodiversity exists including many species of bat, deer and other woodland mammals.
Adze is the name of a hand tool used in traditional green woodwork. There is a great opportunity for traditional craft enthusiasts, with many of the chestnut stools not having been coppiced for some time.
If It Were Mine
I would coppice the mature sweet chestnut stools and carry out general maintenance of the wood. Adze Wood would also be an excellent location for a family camping expedition, with its year round 2WD access and peaceful natural surroundings.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- The woodland is situated next to the village of Northchapel in West Sussex.
- Head north along the A283 from Northchapel village and after approximately 100 metres there is a turning to some fields on the left with a Woods4Sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park carefully so access through the gate is not blocked and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Once over the first gate you will find a second gate on your right. Please climb this one also and then continue up the track with grassland on either side of you until you enter the woodland.
- Continue along the track for 350 metres passing a turning to your left (point B) until you reach a junction (point C).
- Take the left turn and continue for 430 metres, bearing right at the two turnings (points D and E).
- Take the left hand turn at the junction (point F).
- Continue along the track, Adze Wood is to your right.
- The northern boundary is the agricultural fence between the woodland and the field.
- The eastern boundary is marked by wooden posts with pink paint.
- The southern boundary is the northern edge of the track and marked by posts with green paint.
- The western boundary is the eastern edge of the track and marked by wooden posts with white paint.
The sporting rights are included and not let.
The mineral rights are included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes for Adze Wood from the roadside gate up to the woodland boundary (marked ABCDEFG and FH on the plan).
- All shared rights of way are covered by a maintenance clause, with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
There are no fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sales price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.