Spalting Wood, Etchingham, East Sussex, 4.92 acres of mature broadleaf woodland for £38,500 (freehold) [#J732]
Mature broadleaf woodland in a quiet corner of East Sussex.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 199.
National Grid Ref:
- Centre of wood: TQ 720 271.
Nearest postcode: TN19 7PE.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Spalting Wood is a corner of a much larger broadleaf Ancient Woodland. This classification confirms that the land has had continuous forest cover since at least the year 1600. The woodland itself is very diverse, although the climax species is English oak, you will also find on site ash, beech, sycamore, hornbeam, cherry, holly, spruce, Scots pine and European larch. Such diversity is rare and quite special.
The woodland should be of interest to conservationists and hunters alike as it is full of wildlife. Deer are regular visitors as are many other birds and mammals. When our forester last visited the woodland he saw fallow deer, a nightingale and several woodcock. A neighbour informs us that a peregrine falcon is often seen flying over the tree tops. Evidence of mammals such as foxes, rabbits, badgers and squirrels is clear to see (and smell in the case of foxes), complemented of course by the display of woodland birds that is undeniably impressive.
The land is largely flat, but there is some gentle relief in the north-west of the property. Although there are no properly formed watercourses, there are some wetter hollows and depressions that provide for greater diversity of ground vegetation. In the late spring time there are many areas of this woodland that explode into a riot of bluebells.
The access into the woodland is via a pedestrian gate with wooden steps. It is situated in the corner of a quiet country lane but within a short drive of the A265 Heathfield - Hawkhurst road. The soils are slightly acid loams over clays and are highly fertile.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Etchingham, drive out of the village heading east on the A265 for approx. ¼ mile.
- Turn left just before a cottage up a narrow lane called Burgh Hill.
- Continue up here for approx. 1 mile, past the school until you get to a turning on your left (Fysie Lane).
- Just past this junction there will be a lay-by with our For Sale sign at the back.
- You need to turn left into Fysie Lane just before you see the sign.
- Drive down Fysie Lane until you see a second of our For Sale signs at the bottom of some wooden steps.
- The steps lead up to a gate where you can walk into the woodland.
- The north west, northern and eastern boundaries (CD, DE and EF) are indicated by wooden posts with orange painted tops and orange marks on boundary trees.
- The south west boundary is a dilapidated chestnut pale fence.
- The roadside boundary by the gate is the top of the earth bank.
The woodland comes with full sporting rights.
The woodland comes with full mineral rights except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.