Holt Grove, near Northchapel, West Sussex. 2.25 acres of native broadleaf Ancient Woodland. £33,000 (freehold) [#E1006]
A fantastic oak and mixed broadleaf woodland in a peaceful location with all-year vehicular access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SU 951 299.
- Centre of wood: SU 948 300.
Nearest postcode: GU28 9EH.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Holt Grove is an exceptional bluebell woodland in a great location. Forming part of a larger expansive Ancient Woodland close to the rural village of Northchapel, West Sussex. The towns of Petworth and Haslemere are some fifteen minutes’ drive by car, with the coastal city of Chichester around half an hour.
The primary tree species is English oak, dominating the upper canopy. Many of these impressive Quercus specimens are estimated to be in excess of 200 years old. A number of mature sweet chestnut stools can be found, along with birch, hazel and holly. The topography of the woodland is level with an easily traversed floor which is carpeted with bluebells in spring.
Access to the woodland is along a hard track from the main road (A283) which has recently been resurfaced and is suitable for a 2WD vehicle. This track flanks the north and east boundaries facilitating convenient onward management of the wood. Some light thinning of the oak has been carried out in the recent past but there remains a substantial quantity of valuable timber should a new owner wish to carry out some felling or coppicing works.
The conservation value of Holt Grove is clear, being part of a larger Ancient Woodland enhances the wildlife population. A riotous medley of birdsong permeates the woodland from chiffchaffs to woodpeckers and even an occasional owl. Many species of mammal, from rare bats to deer and badgers can be found.
If It Were Mine
I would carry out some coppicing of the sweet chestnut. Holt Grove has a wonderful atmosphere and offers much to the aspiring woodland owner.
Please note some management operations may require a felling licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- The woodland is situated next to the village of Northchapel in West Sussex.
- Head north along the A283 from Northchapel village and after approximately 100 metres there is a turning to some fields on the left with a Woods4Sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable place and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Once over the first gate you will find a second gate on your right. Please climb this one also and then continue up the track with grassland on either side of you until you enter the woodland.
- Continue along the track for 350 metres passing and take the first turning to your left (point B).
- Holt Grove is ahead.
- The north boundary is the inside edge of the track marked by wooden posts with white paint.
- The eastern boundary is the outside edge of the track marked by wooden posts with white and then green paint.
- The southern boundary is marked by wooden posts with white paint.
- The western boundary is marked by wooden posts with green paint.
The sporting rights are included and not let.
The mineral rights are included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes from the roadside gate up to the woodland boundary (marked AB and CD on the plan).
- A right of way is reserved to others over the routes marked BC and BE on the plan.
- All shared rights of way are covered by a maintenance clause, with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
There are no fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.