Carpathians Wood, 3.1 acres of mature beech woodland in Oxfordshire, a short distance from Reading for £35,000 (freehold) [#S1055]
An accessible and spectacular ancient beech woodland within the Chilterns benefiting from good vehicular access. Located 9 miles north from junction 12 of the M4.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 175.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SU 648 808.
- Centre of wood: SU 648 809.
Nearest postcode: RG8 0RT.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Carpathians Wood is a magnificent beech dominated woodland set within a wider forest, located in the south-western corner of the Chiltern Hills, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Ideally located, the woodland is a stone’s throw away from the quaint village of Woodcote and only nine miles north of Reading.
Beech woodlands of the Chilterns were historically managed for the furniture industry based in nearby High Wycombe, dating back from around the 1870’s. The fine straight tree stems found in Carpathians Wood are testament to the past silvicultural management that serviced this local industry.
Since then, the woodland’s flat fertile loamy soils have encouraged good natural beech regeneration as well as becoming home to some other fine mature specimens. These include oak and sweet chestnut in the upper canopy and some bushy patches of holly inhabiting the understory, perhaps providing some festive decorations for the home. The rich woodland habitat has a diverse mix of flora and fungi including artist’s bracket and fly agaric. Birdlife and fauna such as kestrel, wren, muntjac and roe deer are also common in the locality.
From the woodland’s north-east boundary there are extensive views across some well managed agricultural and equestrian land with further woodland beyond.
With easy access off a quiet country lane, a hard-surfaced track suitable for a two-wheel drive vehicle year-round leads to the woodland entrance.
If It Were Mine
I would take advantage of the uncluttered understory and open spaces to spend a weekend camping and building dens. A fungal foray in the later parts of the year would provide an opportunity to survey the array of species within the wood.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the edge of Reading take the A4074 north towards Wallingford and Oxford.
- Approximately 1 mile past Cane End turn left onto the B4526.
- Follow this road for another mile and then turn right for Woodcote.
- The entrance for the wood can be seen on the right-hand side of the road after 550 metres indicated by a Woods4Sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable place and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Continue along the track, keeping left at the junction for 90 metres where you will arrive at a track pull-in on the right, marked X on the plan. This is the entrance to Carpathians Wood.
- The northwest boundary is marked with blue paint on trees and timber stakes.
- The northeast boundary is marked by a timber fence.
- The southeast boundary is marked with yellow paint on trees and timber stakes.
- The southwest boundary is marked on the outside of the track by timber stakes with green paint.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a bridleway that runs inside the northeast boundary.
- There is a right of way granted for all times and all purposes over the route AB on the plan below.
- A right of way is reserved for the benefit of other woodland over the route BC.
- There is a right of way granted over CD to turn only.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.