Spring Wood, St Clears, Carmarthenshire. 3.66 acres of mixed oak woodland. £29,500 (freehold) [#E988]
Superb maturing oak woodland with a small pond and useful sheds. Excellent road access and a very quiet location not far from the Pembroke border.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 158.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SN 208 179.
- Centre of wood: SN 212 180.
Nearest postcode: SA34 0LG.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Spring Wood is a woodland of predominantly late rotation maturing sessile oak. The trees are likely to be between 60 and 90 years old and are growing well in the free-draining fine loamy soils over Palaeozoic mudstone. Other trees growing in this woodland include sycamore and birch, with an understorey of holly and hazel. Ground vegetation includes bilberry, lady ferns (Welsh ferns), hart‘s tongue ferns, hard shield fern and swathes of springtime bluebells.
A special feature of this woodland is the river frontage onto the Afon Gronw along the western boundary of the property. This small but fast flowing river is a tributary of the Afon Taf, eventually arriving at Cardigan Bay. The fishing rights are reserved to a former owner, but the pleasures of owning a property on the banks of this delightful river can be enjoyed by the owners.
There is a small stream-fed pond just above the forest road. Within the wood a path leads to two sheds which have been installed by the current owners.
Spring Wood is classified as ‘Ancient Woodland’, a designation used where there is evidence of forest cover continuously since the year 1600. The woodland is a perfect wildlife haven. The native species and long term woodland cover have allowed complex habitat networks to develop. You can take pleasure from discovering the variety of woodland birds and mammals you would expect in an Ancient Woodland.
The land lies at 50 metres above sea level and is generally west facing, with slopes ranging from steep to gentle and access is very good. From the A40 trunk road you drive along a quiet country road, through a locked woodland gate and follow a hard-surfaced forest track up to and along the western boundary.
If It Were Mine
Spring Wood is a delightful woodland with great access making it ideal to practice small-scale silviculture. I would carry out some clearance works along the river, and possibly some light thinning of the oaks.
Please be aware that some management activities may require a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head west from St Clears on the A40 for just over 4 miles, then take the third exit from the first Whitland roundabout.
- Turn left immediately down the narrow road signed for Whitland Abbey.
- After about ½ mile you will see a large yellow ‘No Trespassers’ sign on your right-hand side. Please park your car here without blocking the gateway.
- Climb the gate (point A on the plan below) sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Continue up the hard forest track for about 375 metres until you come to a wooden post with an orange painted top (point B).
- This is the start of Spring Wood.
- The west boundary is the river bank.
- The northern boundary is marked by wooden posts with orange and pink paint.
- The southeast boundary is marked by wooden posts with red paint.
- The southwest boundary is marked by wooden posts and trees with orange paint.
The woodland comes with full sporting rights except for the fishing rights which are reserved to a former owner.
These are owned and included in the sale except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way for the owners of Spring Wood over the hard forest road marked AB on the plan below.
- There is a right of way reserved over the route BC for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- All shared rights of way are covered by a maintenance clause, with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.