Moonlight Wood, Cwmcych (near Newcastle Emlyn), Pembrokeshire. 5.43 acres of maturing waterside broadleaves for £41,000 (freehold) [#A771]
Mixed hardwoods with extensive river frontage in a delightfully secluded corner of rural East Pembrokeshire.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 145.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Access point: SN 271 371.
- Centre of wood: SN 270 371.
Nearest postcode: SA37 0LL.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Moonlight Wood lies in the heart of rural southwest Wales near the boundary between Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire. Newcastle Emlyn is ten minutes to the north. Carmarthen and the A48 dual carriageway are 17 miles to the southeast, and Cardigan some 12 miles to the northwest.
The wood lies at the confluence of two rivers. The lower ground betwixt track and stream is essentially level. Above the track the ground rises quite steeply with slopes facing to the north and east, softening to a plateau area of more level ground near the upper southwest corner of the wood. Moonlight Wood enjoys extensive waterside frontage on two sides with the eastern boundary being formed by Afon Cych - a clear-running salmon river. The outlook to all compass points is of broadleaf woodland rising up to a gently undulating skyline.
Moonlight Wood is designated as an Ancient Woodland Site, so after felling a conifer crop in the 1990s it was decided to return the site to native woodland. The larger part was planted with oak which are doing well in the sheltered conditions. The wood also contains a fair amount of birch plus minor elements of rowan and occasional ash. Hazel dominates the shrub layer in company with scattered hawthorn along with some mature holly at the top of the wood. The streamsides support a variety of more mature stems including oak, ash, alder and willow.
The wood is reached by a heavy-duty steel-beam bridge which has just been re-decked and is capable of carrying lorries. This leads into an excellent car-accessible stone track (also recently upgraded) and a parking spur at the edge of the meadow area.
The rich woodland and streamside habitats are a magnet for wildlife. As well as woodland songsters in the canopy, the skies above host ravens and buzzards, whilst the clear waters attract herons and kingfishers. Foxes and badgers are present and we believe there may be pine marten on site.
The wood has about 300 metres of frontage to stream and river on its north and east sides. Where the two meet there is a level unwooded area - an outstanding locus for quiet recreation including private fishing on the adjacent stretch of Afon Cych.
The wide variety of habitat and opportunity in this property will be instantly apparent to any who view.
If It Were Mine
Vegetation management of the open waterside area at the confluence of the rivers would create a superb amenity area. Within the wood I’d favour the oak by halo thinning the birch, and I’d also remove the few remaining tree spirals to prevent the risk of tree strangulation.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Newcastle Emlyn head west on the A484 for about 3 miles to Cenarth.
- In Cenarth turn left immediately before crossing the river onto the B4332 signed for Boncath.
- Continue for 1¾ miles, then immediately after crossing the Afon Cych turn left onto the minor country road signed for Cwmcych and Clydau (passing the Nags Head Inn on your right).
- Follow this valley road in a south-easterly direction for 2.1 miles at which point the road crosses back to the east bank of the river (just after a white cottage on your right).
- Continue on for exactly 1/3 mile after this bridge, and then look out for a recessed metal gate on your right with a Woods4Sale sign on it.
- Park opposite this gate and continue on foot entering the wood via the stile to the right side of the gate (A).
- Moonlight Wood is on your right immediately after crossing the bridge inside the entrance gate.
- To access the upper southwest part of the wood, turn left after the bridge and then cut uphill just before the end of the hard track (H) on the marked footpath, emerging near the field corner (D).
- We do not hand out keys for viewing.
- The west boundary (DE) is a narrow ride above and below the track, marked periodically by orange-topped posts.
- The north boundary (EF) is the south bank of the stream, and (FG) the north side of the stream.
- The east boundary (BG) is the riverside.
- The south boundary (BCD) is marked periodically by blue-topped posts.
The sporting rights are included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are included except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of access for all purposes over the route AB.
- A right of access is reserved to others over the routes BC and BE.
- Maintenance of all shared tracks is according to use.
- CE is a public footpath. A public footpath also clips the southwest corner at D.
There are no known fencing obligations.
Afon Cych (adjacent to the east boundary of the sale area) is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.