Allt y Gigfran, near Abermeurig, Ceredigion. 15.37 acres of mixed conifer woodland with a stream and excellent access. £85,000 for the whole or in lots from £25,000 (freehold) [#E1022]
A mixed woodland with mature Douglas fir, larch, noble fir and western hemlock with elements of mixed broadleaf and young restock in rural mid-Wales. Benefiting from a recently upgraded access track.
15.37 acres or
Lot 1: 5.92 acres
Lot 2: 4.23 acres
Lot 3: 5.22 acres
£85,000 for the whole or
Lot 1: £25,000
Lot 2: £31,000
Lot 3: £37,500
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 146.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SN 563 561.
- Centre of wood: SN 561 559.
Nearest postcode: SA48 8PP.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Allt y Gigfran stands around seven miles north of the town of Lampeter, Ceredigion, a rural settlement with good amenities including supermarkets, a petrol station and a St David’s University campus (established 1822). Having a pleasant northerly aspect, this well-stocked mature plantation overlooks the picturesque Aeron Valley that culminates at the seaside town of Aberaeron ten miles away.
Parts of the woodland are designated as a plantation on Ancient Woodland site, with evidence of continuous tree cover since the 1600’s. Broadleaf species are scattered throughout, including mature oak, rowan, hazel and holly. Woodland flora includes bluebells and numerous ferns such as the hard shield and scaly male.
The conifer, planted approximately 50 – 60 years ago is in late-rotation and presents a substantial volume of standing timber. Soils are fertile, free-draining brown earths with average rainfall 50cm annually. Substantial access improvements recently undertaken provide accessibility to the whole property facilitating convenient onward management.
Lot 1 - 5.92 acres for £25,000 (freehold)
This wood benefits from far-reaching views of the Aeron Valley. Access is via a surfaced track culminating in a useful turning area, with additional access from the west (see plan). A fast-flowing stream fed from a spring runs through the centre of the wood. Mature oak and beech scatter the predominantly larch crop. There are around 4 acres of recent re-planting of thriving native broadleaf sheltered by widely spaced mature oak. A new owner needs to maintain the recently planted area to full establishment and there is a Glastir grant available to thin the larch with the aim of restoring to native species.
Lot 2 - 4.23 acres for £31,000 (freehold)
This mixed conifer wood has a substantial quantity of standing timber, predominantly late rotation noble fir and Douglas fir with areas of larch and fringes of mixed broadleaf. There is a large stacking bay midway along the excellent access track facilitating future management. A seasonal stream defines the northern boundary. There is seasonal demand for noble fir foliage for festive wreath making, offering a potential source of income.
Lot 3 – 5.22 acres for £37,500 (freehold)
Part of this wood is classified as plantation on Ancient Woodland, indicted by the flora including bluebell, dog’s mercury and several fern species. The conifer was planted roughly 50 years ago, with a combination of western hemlock and mixed broadleaves such as mature beech on higher ground, with Douglas fir and Japanese larch on the lower ground. The woodland benefits from an access track along the northern boundary and an additional track and access point. The conifer is of good form and quality and offers a valuable resource.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Lampeter follow the A482 towards Aberaeron and after 4 miles turn right on the B4337.
- After 1 miles turn right signposted Abermeurig.
- After 1 ¼ miles you will see the woodland on the right.
- Our ‘Woods for Sale’ sign is just before the turning (point A on the plan). Park in a safe place being careful not to obstruct the track.
- Continue up the track and Allt y Gigfran is ahead.
- The boundary between BC is an old metal fence.
- The boundary between CD is the outside edge of the track.
- The boundary between DEFGH is an agricultural metal fence.
- The boundary between HI is marked by wooden posts with blue paint.
- The boundary between IJ is marked by a metal fence.
- The boundary between JF is marked by wooden posts with blue paint.
- The boundary between JK is marked by wooden posts and trees with blue paint.
- The boundary between KL is marked by a fence between the gardens and the woodland.
- The boundary between LE marked by a seasonal stream.
- The boundary between LB is an earth bank between the woodland and the road.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale.
Are included except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way granted for all lots marked AX on the plan for all purposes and at all times.
- Lot 1 has a right of way granted along XYZ and from the west marked OPTU and PQRS and RT for all times and all purposes.
- Lot 2 has a right of way granted along AXY for all times and all purposes.
- A right of way is reserved between YZ for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- Lot 3 has a right of access reserved along XY for the benefit of the woodlands beyond.
- The access track (ACD on the plan) is a public right of way.
There is a fencing obligation marked DEFG.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.