Etchden Corner, four miles west of Ashford, Kent. A charming compact broadleaf and conifer woodland with a small shed. 0.55 acres for £10,500 (freehold) [#E939]
Located in the heart of Kent close to the town of Ashford, this attractive and affordable mixed woodland has great conservation and amenity appeal.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 189.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 957 423.
- Centre of wood: TQ 955 421.
Nearest postcode: TN26 3DP.
Etchden Corner is a charming plot of Norway and Sitka spruce with birch and mature oak, situated in a larger woodland, set back from a quiet country lane known as Etchden Road. It is positioned in a rural location, around four miles west of Ashford, in Kent. The wider countryside includes, to the north, Hoads Wood, an ancient woodland designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
The property is fenced and has a right of way granted along a level track, which could be used by a 4WD vehicle. Within Etchden Corner there is a small woodland management shed the current owner has used to store firewood and as a rain shelter.
The level ground of the woodland is easily traversed by foot, with a flora consisting of mainly grasses and sedges and several moss types. The fertile clay soil of this region lends itself well to forestry, having produced good quality spruce and some impressive oaks. The wide spacing of the trees in parts would allow for further underplanting of oak if desired. A number of fungi also grow, including the common birch polypore and turkey tail.
The wider woodland is home to a rich variety of wildlife with several deer species and birds including nightingale, woodcock, nuthatch, great spotted woodpecker and several kinds of tits and warblers.
If It Were Mine
In the open spaces, I would under-plant with oak, ensuring adequate deer protection. A well located and manageable woodland such as this offers fantastic amenity and conservation value.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Ashford exit the town on the A28 in the direction of Bethersden.
- At the Matalan roundabout take the exit signed for Great Chart.
- After 1 mile you will enter the village of Great Chart, as you approach the village take a right turn onto Ninn Lane.
- After 1.5 miles the road will turn sharply right and you need to continue straight onto Etchden Road (i.e. turning left) in the direction signed for Bethersden and Tenterden.
- After approximately ½ a mile you will see an access point to your left with a metal gate and a sign saying ‘Etchden Wood’ this is point A on the plan below.
- Please park in a safe location being careful not to obstruct the narrow road and carefully climb the adjacent fence. Sorry we do not supply keys for viewings.
- Continue along the track for approximately 150 metres take the right-hand turn (point B).
- Continue for another 230 metres, where you will see our ‘Woods4Sale’ sign (point C).
- Etchden Corner is to the right.
All boundaries are fenced.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is granted for Etchden Corner marked ABC on the plan below.
- There is a shared maintenance clause covering this right of way.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
No known fencing liabilities.
Tree Preservation Order
Etchden Corner is the subject of a tree preservation order (TPO). A TPO does not prevent felling or other woodland management but does require the consent of the Local Planning Authority.
Etchden Corner is subject to an article 4 restricting certain permitted development at the property.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sales price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.