Fern Bank, Northchapel, near Petworth, West Sussex. 2.46 acres of mature oak and mixed broadleaf woodland in rural Sussex. £29,000 (freehold) [#E938]
An Ancient English Oak Woodland with a sunny south-facing aspect in a delightful location. Benefiting from 2WD vehicular access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 186.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SU 951 299.
- Centre of wood: SU 948 299.
Nearest postcode: GU28 9EH.
Fern Bank is a delightful woodland in the heart of West Sussex, falling within the South Downs National Park. The historic towns of Petworth and Haslemere are roughly equidistant at around five miles to the south and north respectively.
Set on a sunny south facing bank and defined by recently upgraded hard tracks to two sides, Fern Bank is a very attractive copse with excellent prospects. The woodland has been classified as an Ancient Woodland, with numerous indicator plant species such as bluebell and primrose to be found.
Oak with sweet chestnut stools are the predominant tree species; ash, birch and beech can be found as minor species. Historically the woodland would have been managed as oak standards with ash and sweet chestnut coppice. Several of the oaks are upwards of 200 years old and truly magnificent.
The topography, whilst gently sloping, does level off towards the southern track and would make a great spot here for some wild camping or a family BBQ. Along with the numerous woodland wildflowers there are ferns such as scaly male and broad buckler. Avian visitors include owls and songbirds such as the chiffchaff.
If It Were Mine
I would simply enjoy the natural ambiance of Fern Bank, certainly some coppice and light maintenance works could be carried out.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- The woodland is situated next to the village of Northchapel in West Sussex.
- Head north along the A283 from Northchapel village and after approximately 100 metres there is a turning to some fields on the left with a Woods4Sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park carefully so access through the gate is not blocked and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Once over the first gate you will find a second gate on your right. Please climb this one also and then continue up the track with grassland on either side of you until you enter the woodland.
- Continue for 90 metres and take the turning to your left (point B) continue ahead until you see a wooden post with white paint (point C).
- Fern Bank is to the right.
- The northern boundary is marked by wooden posts and trees with white paint.
- The eastern and southern boundary is the outside of the track.
- The western boundary is marked by wooden posts and trees with green paint.
The sporting rights are included and not let.
The mineral rights are included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes for Fern Bank from the roadside gate up to the woodland boundary (marked ABC on the plan).
- A right of way is reserved along CDE for the benefit of the woodlands beyond.
- All shared rights of way are covered by a maintenance clause, with liability according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
There are no fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.