Old Coppice Wood, near Maidstone, Kent. 5.83 acres of mature oak and mixed broadleaf woodland in a great location. £49,900 (freehold) [#E865]
A delightful secluded Ancient Woodland in the heart of Kent, with stunning mature oak and hornbeam trees.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 818 560.
- Centre of wood: TQ 826 554.
Nearest postcode: ME14 3LY.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Old Coppice Wood is located near to Maidstone, Kent. A delightful wood forming a most attractive part of a larger Ancient Woodland, perfect for an owner with an interest in conservation or quiet recreation. It also contains a valuable stock of high quality oak, ash and hornbeam timber. Beneath the large canopy trees, there is an understorey of hazel coppice, mixed broadleaves including hawthorn and holly and prolific thicket-stage regeneration of ash and hornbeam.
The woodland has been well managed in recent years by the vendor, and there is now an opportunity to sustainably harvest some timber that could provide a valuable supply of firewood to a household with a wood-burning stove.
Access is via a hard forest track that runs along the wood’s northern boundary. Interesting paths have been cut in the thicker coppiced section. Several seasonal watercourses exist in the woodland that could be sources for the creation of ponds if a new owner desired.
The seasonal ground flora includes abundant bluebells, wood anemones, celandine, orchids and wild strawberries. Wildlife includes buzzards and kestrels plus foxes and badgers.
There is a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) on the whole forest. This does not prevent normal forest management operations, including felling, as can be seen from the recent coppicing operations in various parts of the forest. It simply means that the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained prior to felling.
There is an area of approx 1.5 acres to the south of Old Coppice Wood that has been fenced in the property but is not within the land registry title for the property. All rights the current owners may have to this area will be sold along with Old Coppice Wood, making the total area to be enjoyed 7.33 acres.
If It Were Mine
This private woodland is in a perfect spot for family camping expeditions, or for those interested in woodland crafts perhaps. The peaceful atmosphere is a real feature of the wood. I would consider in the longer-term perhaps creating a pond or two.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the M20 junction 8, take the Maidstone direction along the A20 (signed for Bearsted). After ¾ mile turn right into the narrow Crismill Lane. If you pass ‘Potted Garden’ nursery then you have gone too far.
- Continue up this narrow road, under the M20, and turn left at the other side along Crismill Lane. Around a sharp right hand bend the tarmac will finish but the road still has a good hard surface.
- After about 300 metres you will come to a padlocked steel gate on your right hand side. You should park here, taking care not to obstruct either the gateway or the road. Both are in use at all times. This is point A on the plan below.
- From this point you need to pass around the gate and continue straight down the road for 300 metres, over a stream then ahead for another 350 metres, until you come to another steel gate. This is point B on the plan below.
- Walk around the gate and then down the forest road for a further 200 metres until you come to a junction (point C), passing our ‘Woods4Sale’ sign on the left.
- Take the left hand turn and continue ahead for 75 metres, bearing right at the junction (point D). After 100 metres the track bears to the right (point E) and Old Coppice Wood is ahead.
- The northern boundary is the edge of the forest road, indicated by posts with green and orange painted tops.
- The eastern boundary is indicated by posts with yellow and red painted tops.
- The western boundary is the centre of the public footpath.
- The southern boundary of the unregistered land is a wire fence.
The woodland comes with the benefit of full sporting rights.
These are included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes for the owner of Old Coppice Wood from the gate on Crismill Lane, to the woodland boundary marked ABCDE on the plan.
- A right of way is reserved over the route EF for the benefit of the adjacent woodlands.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland but a public footpath along the west boundary.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Tree Preservation Order
Old Coppice Wood is the subject of a tree preservation order (TPO). A TPO does not prevent felling or other woodland management but does require the consent of the Local Planning Authority.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.