Butterfly Wood, 4.47 acres of freehold mature oak woodland in Northiam, East Sussex for £47,500 (freehold) [#J760]
Mature oak woodland with hazel and hornbeam coppice, excellent access over a private tarmac road. Open spaces and bursting with wildlife. On the edge of the small village of Northiam in East Sussex.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 837 256.
- Centre of wood: TQ 835 257.
Nearest postcode: TN31 6QY.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Butterfly Wood is a mature oak woodland with an understorey of hazel and hornbeam coppice. In some areas the oaks were thinned a few years ago and the increased light is allowing the coppice stools to put on some substantial growth.
The large mature oak canopy trees are majestic in their height and provide a magnificent backdrop to the property and it doesn’t take too much imagination to see the potential here. With a little exploration you will find some lovely little glades where it is worth sitting down and soaking up the atmosphere for a few minutes.
The access could not be better, with a good tarmac road running the length of the southern boundary. The road is included in the sale and leads down to a discreet water treatment works just outside the woodland.
Butterfly Wood is largely flat or very gently sloping. The soils are fertile permeable base-rich loams and suitable for growing almost any UK tree species. The size and height of the oaks are testament to the soil fertility.
If It Were Mine
I would open up a small clearing as a camping area in a quiet corner and a build a tree house to entertain the children, then sit back and enjoy a camp-fire cooked hot dog and a cold beer.
To View This Woodland
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Head southbound along the A268 towards Northiam.
- Just after you cross the River Rother and then the steam railway, take the left fork staying on the A268 signed for Rye.
- Continue for approximately ⅓ mile, past the 4x4 centre then a short distance further as the road climbs.
- Drive past our Woods4Sale sign and as you approach the brow of the hill turn right onto Quickbourne Lane.
- About 30 metres down this lane turn right into the woodland gateway (point A on the plan below).
- Please park where you are not obstructing the gate.
- Butterfly Wood is behind the gate and on the left of the tarmac track.
- The northern boundary is the north side of the tarmac track.
- The south east boundary is the treeline at the side of the road.
- The south west boundary is largely fenced.
Butterfly Wood comes with full sporting rights.
The woodland has full mineral rights except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of access is reserved over the track AB for the water company and adjacent woodland.
- A shared maintenance clause covers this right of way.
- A public footpath runs along this track.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.