The Aviary, near Maidstone, Kent. 5.02 acres of mixed broadleaf woodland for £37,500 (freehold) [#E1013]
A native mixed woodland with a diversity of tree species and birdlife, ideal for the keen conservationist. Positioned in a peaceful part of a larger Ancient Woodland, with 2WD vehicular access.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 188.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: TQ 818 560.
- Centre of wood: TQ 826 554.
Nearest postcode: ME14 3LY.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
The Aviary, appropriately named due its rich diversity of birds that nest and feed here, is an attractive well located woodland in the heart of Kent. The surrounding landscape is of rolling fertile agricultural fields or of woodland parcels, The Aviary itself forming part of a larger continuous Ancient Woodland.
The woodland benefits from a hard surfaced track, which is accessible by a 2WD vehicle all year round. It is only a short drive to junction 8 of the M20 motorway, situated in Bearsted village on the outskirts of Maidstone. This excellent accessibility does not detract from the peaceful seclusion of the woodland, having dense cover from a variety of tree species.
A combination of birch, field maple, willow, hawthorn and ash make up the majority of the well-stocked woodland. This close spacing of the trees, informal tracks and occasional open area, makes for an interesting walk through the understorey. Signs of wildlife are abundant, with perfect opportunities for erecting a hide or two.
Evidence of deer in the wood is indicated by a number of tracks, along with sightings of songbirds and wildfowl. Wildflowers, ferns and woodland flora are abundant, most notably wild purple spotted orchids along the track verges which flank the wood.
There is great opportunity for collecting fruits, nuts, herbs and fungi should a new owner be interested in wild foraging, as well as scope for stalking if one desired. The possibilities within The Aviary are endless, including a clearly sustainable source of woodfuel.
If It Were Mine
I would do some thinning and light maintenance of the informal paths within the wood. It would be a great wood for keeping a beehive or installing a wildlife hide.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the M20 junction 8, take the Maidstone direction along the A20 (signed for Bearsted).
- After ¾ mile turn right into the narrow Crismill Lane. If you pass ‘Potted Garden’ nursery then you have gone too far.
- Continue up this narrow road, under the M20, and turn left at the other side along Crismill Lane.
- Around a sharp right hand bend the tarmac will finish but the road still has a good hard surface.
- After about 300 metres you will come to a padlocked steel gate on your right-hand side.
- You should park here, taking care not to obstruct either the gateway or the road. Both are in use at all times. This is point X on the plan below.
- From this point, you need to pass around the gate and continue straight down the road for 300 metres, over a stream (point A) then ahead for another 250 metres, until you come to a steel gate on the right with our ‘For Sale’ sign. This is point B on the plan below.
- Climb the gate and walk along the track for 480 metres, you will arrive at a steel gate in to the wood (point C).
- Climb the gate and walk for 300 metres to another gate, climb this gate and The Aviary is ahead and to the left.
- The northern boundary is the inside edge of the track and marked by wooden posts with green and then yellow paint.
- The eastern boundary is the inside of the track and marked by wooden posts with green paint.
- The southern boundary is the inside of the track and marked by wooden posts with green then orange paint.
- The western boundary is the centre of the footpath.
The woodland comes with the benefit of full sporting rights.
These are included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes for the owner of The Aviary from the gate on Crismill Lane, to the woodland boundary marked XABCDE on the plan.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way with liability according to use.
- We are informed that the owner has also enjoyed access along the route BFE.
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland but a public footpath runs along the west boundary.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
Tree Preservation Order
There is a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) on the whole forest. This does not prevent normal forest management operations, including felling, as can be seen from the recent coppicing operations in various parts of the forest. It simply means that the agreement of the local Tree Officer must be obtained prior to felling.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.