Northgate Wood, Ulgham, Northumberland. 12.72 acres of late pole stage Scots pine and mixed hardwoods for £78,000 (freehold) [#A929]
Plantation pine and ash at production phase on level ground and with good access.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 81.
National Grid Ref:
- Access point A: NZ 235 929.
- Centre of wood: NZ 233 927.
Nearest postcode: NE61 3AS.
Northgate Wood occupies the central section of a larger woodland on the outskirts of the quiet and attractive village of Ulgham (pronounced ‘Uffam’) some 6 miles north of Morpeth. Newcastle is thirty minute’s drive to the south, Northumberland National park is a similar distance west and the coast is just 10 minutes to the east.
The wood lies on level ground with open aspects to north and south. The view north is over wide arable fields, whilst to the south there is a more intimate landscape of grazing meadows leading down to the River Lyne and across to the village.
We believe the wood was planted just before the millennium. The heart of the wood is principally Scots pine fringed with broadleaves dominated by ash. The woodland edge is diversified with a number of other species including rowan, sycamore, oak and cherry. Some impressive holly trees mark the southwest corner.
Car access is excellent via a newly upgraded track leading to a hard-standing area at the northeast corner of the wood. The level ground and access track not only facilitates easy management but also lends itself to amenity. A small clearing on the sunny south edge overlooking the riverside meadows (and the deer that frequent them) would make a highly attractive locus for woodland recreation.
If It Were Mine
I’d obtain a licence from the Forestry Commission as this wood is now ready for its first thin. This could produce sufficient high grade firewood for a commercial return. I’d also tend to favour the minor species and nudge the wood towards a more diverse composition with small coupe fellings followed by a little under-planting. Plenty for the aspiring woodsman here.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Ulgham drive north on the B1337 crossing the modern bridge over the River Lyne shortly after leaving the village.
- Continue up the hill for 280 metres after the bridge, then turn left onto a farm track at the end of the wood on your left side (A).
- Drive 150 metres to the end of the track and park at the northeast corner of the wood (B) keeping clear of the field access.
- Northgate Wood is ahead of you to your left.
- The west boundary (DE) is a derelict fence.
- The north boundary (EB) is the field edge stock fence.
- The east boundary (BC) is the midline of the ditch (indicated by a red-topped post at B).
- The south boundary (CD) is the field edge stock fence.
The sporting rights are included. They are not let.
The mineral rights are reserved to a previous owner. An indemnity policy (which would pass to the purchaser) covers this eventuality.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of access for all purposes to the property over the track AB.
- Maintenance of all shared tracks is according to use.
- There are no public rights of way within this wood.
- The north boundary fence (currently in good condition) is the sole responsibility of the woodland owner.
- The south boundary fence is shared with the adjacent owner.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.