Sentinel Wood, 3.64 acres of mixed hardwoods near Doncaster in South Yorkshire for £38,000 (freehold) [#A643]
A light and open wood with plenty of full canopy mixed hardwoods on level ground, at the heart of a larger forest near the pretty village of Sprotbrough.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 111.
National Grid Ref:
- Viewer Parking: SE 531 015.
- Centre of wood: SE 526 015.
Nearest postcode: DN5 7SG.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Sentinel Wood lies within a private gated forest midway between the attractive villages of Sprotbrough and Cadeby. The A1(M) and M18 motorways are close by and Doncaster is just 15 minutes to the east, yet thanks to surrounding farmland and other woodland it is both peaceful and private.
The wood lies on near level ground amidst a landscape of wider woodland and arable fields. The main tree species growing in the fertile and sheltered conditions include beech, oak, ash, elm and birch, many of which have fuller canopies than a commercial stand might have. As a result of this lighter stocking the wood has a light and airy feel. Another by-product of the higher light levels is a well-developed sub-canopy of regenerating hardwoods of various ages along with some woody shrub species including hazel, hawthorn, holly and snowberry.
There is a varied herb layer with patches of bluebells, wood sorrel, anemone and primroses. And there’s plenty of wildlife too. A recent evening visit was regularly punctuated by the calling of tawny owls. Buzzards are resident in the wider woodland and there is an abundance of woodland songsters, whilst on the ground there is plenty of foraging activity by foxes and badgers.
The wood is reached by a recently upgraded stone track easily negotiated by cars. Hard tracks on two of the three sides, along with the easy level terrain means this wood is easy to both manage and enjoy.
If It Were Mine
I would remove some of the sycamores and try to favour some of the emerging saplings of native species. I would also enlist the support of the local Woodland Trust officer who knows the wider woodland and can advise on strategies to further enrich the local habitat.
Please remember that some woodland operations require consent.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- Sprotbrough is about 2 miles west of Doncaster just west of the A1(M). The nearest exit is junction 36.
- From the church at the centre of Sprotbrough head southwest on the Cadeby Road for 0.6 miles to the bottom of the hill.
- The entrance to the wood is on your right, opposite the turning to Nursery Lane.
- Please park by the timber railing on the left side, leaving the entrance clear as vehicles need to access the property at all times.
- Continue on foot over the locked metal gate marked with a Red Rock Forestry sign (A) into the wood. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Keep straight on for 375 metres until the track forks by a single yew tree (B).
- You are now at the southeast corner of Sentinel Wood.
- The northwest boundary (CD) is marked by a line of yellow-topped posts.
- The northeast boundary (BD) is the southwest side of the hard track.
- The south boundary (BC) is the south side of the hard track.
The sporting rights are included and are not let.
Although the minerals rights are reserved to another party, the woodland owner has absolute control over whether they are ever exercised.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of access for all purposes over the hard track ABD.
- A right of access is reserved to others over the route BC.
- Maintenance of shared tracks is according to use.
- There are no public rights of way in this woodland.
There are no fencing obligations.
Tree Preservation Order
Sentinel Wood is the subject of a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). A TPO does not prevent felling or other woodland management but does require the consent of the Local Planning Authority.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.