Crimpton Wood, near Clitheroe, Lancashire. 19.72 acres of mature conifer plantation with good access. Offers in the region of £95,000 (freehold) [#E1061]
A good quality Sitka spruce plantation situated in the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Offering excellent silvicultural investment potential.
Offers in the region of £95,000
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 103.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SD 679 467.
- Centre of wood: SD 679 468.
Nearest postcode: BB7 3DH.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Standing in the picturesque Ribble Valley District in the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Crimpton Wood has fine views of Kitcham Hill and the surrounding rural landscape and was once part of the Browsholme Estate. The historic market town of Clitheroe is 7 ½ miles to the southeast.
This late-rotation, un-thinned Sitka spruce plantation of approximately 50 years in age has a modest northerly aspect. An unclassified tarmac road follows the eastern boundary benefiting from three access points with a right to stack timber granted at the uppermost. The two areas of open ground adjacent to the road were apparently once dug for clay, which accounts for the interesting land formations here with occasional birch, hazel and other broadleaves to be found.
The fertile moist soils have yielded a good crop of timber, a recent survey estimates the standing volume of Sitka to be in the region of 365 tons per hectare with a minor larch component. A number of drainage ditches and a small stream pass through the woodland. An historic stone wall runs through part of the woodland, along with remnants of a former trackway to the northwest fringed by mature sycamore and other hardwoods.
Many of the boundaries are fenced and stock-proof, with a larger conifer plantation continuing westwards. Parts of this adjacent forest is suffering from windthrow, with small pockets now evidenced at Crimpton. This mature conifer plantation, ready for harvesting offers an excellent investment opportunity in a fantastic location.
To View This Woodland
Please call the office on 01248 364362 before viewing so we can advise if a shoot is due to take place.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Clitheroe take the B6243 (Edisford Road) cross the bridge over the River Ribble and take the second right signposted Browsholme Hall.
- After 1 mile continue ahead towards Browsholme Hall passing a left turn and another on the right.
- Continue ahead for another 3 ½ miles passing The Red Pump Inn on the left and Browsholme Hall on the right.
- As you enter the village of Cow Ark the road veers to the left, take a turning to the right opposite a telephone box and signposted Whitewell.
- After a few hundred metres at the junction turn right, continue up the hill for ¾ mile passing Moorside Barn on the right.
- As you come to the brow of the hill you will see a track on the right with a cattle grid, and an unsurfaced track on the opposite side of the road, with a Red Rock Forestry sign. This is point A on the plan.
- Park here in a safe place being careful not to obstruct the road.
- Crimpton Wood is ahead and to the right.
- The eastern boundary is a stone wall between the road and the property.
- The short southwest boundary is marked by wooden posts with pink paint.
- All other boundaries are fenced, with some in need of repair.
The sporting rights are not included and are currently exercised.
We believe the mineral rights are included except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way within the woodland.
- A right of access is granted along points AX and AY and there is a right to stack timber at point A for a consecutive period of 6 months.
- All rights of way are covered by a shared maintenance clause according to use.
We are unaware of any fencing obligations.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
Offers are being invited in the region of the guide price stated above. Interested parties should contact our office to discuss making an offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.