Cae Gwyn Quayside, Bodnant, Conwy, Snowdonia. A riverside property of great charm and potential. 0.81 acres for £84,500 (freehold) [#A951]
Mixed hardwoods, an historic quay, extensive river frontage, remains of an old cottage and stunning views over the Conwy estuary to Snowdonia.
OS Landranger map: Sheet 115.
National Grid Ref: SH 796 726.
Nearest postcode: LL28 5RP.
River-side properties on the Conwy Estuary are rare to the market. This one is beautifully situated on the east bank just 10 minutes upstream from Conwy with a stunning westerly panorama across to the Snowdon hills. Across the road is the rear entrance to Bodnant Gardens and the renowned restaurant and café at the Welsh Food Centre is just 200 metres away.
Cae Gwyn Quayside occupies level ground with almost 400 metres of river-frontage. The central part of the property is populated with a variety of mixed broadleaves dominated by oak, some of which drape over the water at high tide. Other species include hazel, elm, cherry and holly along with occasional birch, sycamore and yew. To the south there is an attractive belt of water-side reeds whilst the northern part of the property is dominated by grass and an historic quay backed by the shell of an old stone cottage to the rear of which are the remains of a double-sided kiln. The ground flora is diverse with snowdrops, daffodils, wild garlic and bluebells promising a succession of colour and scent through the year.
The property benefits from inter-tidal mooring rights and there is also a ramp leading down to the foreshore enabling small boats to be launched and recovered.
The river is a wonderfully diverse habitat above and below the water. The vendor reports good fishing including salmon, sea trout and some sizeable sea bass and flounder. The water margins and reeds host a wide variety of birds – during our brief visit we saw herons, oyster-catchers, greenshank, shellduck and egrets. There are no doubt many others besides. The current owner has even had otters come up to him on the quayside. Ornithologists and fishermen will have plenty to keep themselves occupied here.
If It Were Mine
This is unequivocally a property for recreation, so camping, fishing, bird watching and boating would all feature. I might look at re-roofing the cottage to use as a store, and perhaps explore its re-development potential.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Directions & Access
- From junction 19 of the A55 (near Llandudno Junction), head south on the A 470 signed for Betws y Coed.
- Continue for 3.6 miles to the ‘Welsh Food Centre’ on your left.
- Turn round at this junction and head back up the A470 for 250 metres and park in the layby on your left next to the Woods4sale sign.
- Go through the gate by the For Sale sign (A on the plan), descend the flight of steps, cross the railway line via the pedestrian crossing and enter the property by a personnel gate at B.
- Please take extreme care when crossing the railway line.
- The west boundary (CD) is the river bank.
- The north boundary (DE) runs from the corner of the quay to just north of the ruined cottage.
- The east boundary (EB) is the fence next to the railway and (BC) the railway embankment.
The sporting rights are included. They are not let.
The mineral rights are included except as reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- Access is by the public footpath leading from the A470 via the a flight of steps, crossing the railway, and thence into the east side of the wood. The public footpath exits the property’s north side.
- There is no vehicular access to the property.
There are no known fencing obligations.
The sale area is adjacent to the Aber Conwy SSSI. We believe that the reed beds at the south end of the subjects may be within the SSSI boundary.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.