Vernal Wood, nr. Pontesbury, Shrewsbury, mid Shropshire 2.71 acres of mature oak woodland for £37,000 (freehold) [#M1063]
Stunning views and an ancient woodland feel, this beautiful oak woodland is a treasure not to be missed.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 126.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SJ 395017.
- Centre of wood: SJ 392 014.
Nearest postcode: SY5 0SQ.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
With the feel of an ancient hunting ground, Vernal Wood is one of the most attractive woodlands on our books at the moment. Set in a stunning location in the Shropshire hills, this wood offers an abundance of mature oaks, birch and ash within an open woodland. There is woodland on three sides with the fourth looking out to fantastic views across wild flower meadows and the end of the Long Mynd in the distance.
The character of this wood is defined by the well-spaced trees and the unencumbered grassy floor that allows easy access to wander around. Where the canopy opens the vegetation rises to produce some more secluded areas of self-seeded trees, climbers, ferns and a rich and diverse oak woodland habitat. In its fertile soil you will find alder, hazel, holly trees and hard fern, dog-rose, honeysuckle, sedge and even some patches of bluebells to name but a few of the seasonal woodland blooms here.
Vernal Wood is found in a remote and peaceful location, only disturbed by the sound of farm animals in the distance and the clip-clop of a horse on the road. Access from the council road is along a hard stoned track that passes through fields and woodland on its way up and past the wood. There is a small pull-in to park a car and the track makes it accessible at all times of the year in a 2WD vehicle.
If It Were Mine
Not to be spoilt by human trappings I would maintain its ancient feel, a little path would be nice from the car to a camping spot, a rope swing would be fun on a sturdy tree and a bench or seat to look out from. Silviculturally, I would plant some native trees through suppression mats where there is open canopy and try to enhance the wood for the next generation.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From A5 by-pass take the A488 towards Pontesbury.
- In Pontesbury continue down the hill and turn left onto Chapel Street which is approximately 200 metres before the Church.
- Continue on Chapel Street keeping left which takes you onto Habberley Road.
- Continue to Habberley and take the second right where the road forks towards Bridges.
- Continue on this road for approximately one mile before turning right onto a stone track to Lower Vessons.
- At the sharp bend the entrance gate is in front of you which has a Red Rock Forestry management sign on it (point A on the plan).
- Park safely without blocking access and continue on foot (we do not give out keys for viewing).
- Follow the track for 100 metres (point B).
- Take the second right up the track and continue straight for 270 metres (point C).
- This is the start of the wood and it continues 150 metres on the left to point D.
- The north boundary is indicated with green paint on wooden posts set back from the inside edge of the track.
- The east boundary is the agricultural fence.
- The south boundary is the agricultural fence.
- The west boundary is indicated with red paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
The woodland comes with full sporting rights.
The mineral rights are included in the sale except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way inside this wood.
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the council road up to the woodland boundary (marked XABCD on the plan).
- A shared maintenance clause covers this right of way.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.