Cobb Wood, 1.96 acres of mature broadleaved woodland near to the village of Lutterworth in Warwickshire for £25,000 (freehold) [#M1036]
A mature broadleaved wood dominated by oak above a clean forest floor, with excellent vehicular access set amidst the farmland of the Warwickshire border.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 140.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SP 472 856.
- Centre of wood: SP 467 859.
Nearest postcode: CV23 0SL.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Cobb Wood lies on a flat site sandwiched between arable fields and woodland. The majority of the canopy is composed of mature oak. A few large ash are peppered throughout and there are scattered stems of other species including beech, rowan, birch and an abundance of hazel.
The oak are of fine quality and there is the prospect of selectively felling individual trees under an approved Forestry Commission thinning licence. This would produce some high value mill-wood and release the best retained stems to grow on. Equally, owners may elect not to risk dabbling with perfection, choosing instead to enjoy the oak as they are.
Hazel stools are widespread beneath the canopy along with holly, dog rose, honeysuckle, hawthorn and elder. The woodland floor is unencumbered by vegetation and it is possible to walk to many parts unhindered. The herb layer is almost exclusively populated by species associated with an Ancient Woodland including wood anemone, wild garlic and dog’s mercury along with a few patches of bluebells.
There are attractive views to the northwest over a landscape of arable fields and woodland in the distance. Cobb Wood is very close to an old roman settlement that marked the junction of Fosse Way and Watling Street, two major road arteries that stretch across the country. All this tranquillity is ideally located with superb access to Nuneaton, Coventry and Rugby. Cars can be driven to a private hard-standing area within the wood thanks to a newly upgraded all-weather forest track, which will also facilitate small-volume timber extraction.
If It Were Mine
Some of the birch could be thinned out to allow light onto the floor and encourage regeneration or new planting to flourish. I would also take a look to see if any of the mature trees would be suitable for a tree house!
Please remember some management operations require approval and/or a licence.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the M69 junction 1 take the exit on to the A5/Watling Street heading south east for 3 miles.
- Turn right onto B4455/Fosse Way for 1.5 miles heading southwest.
- Turn left onto Coal Pit Lane for 0.7 miles heading southeast.
- Take the right turning opposite Wood Farm Brewery (Brockhurst Lane) and the entrance to the wood is immediately on the right indicated by a Red Rock Forestry management sign.
- Please park in a suitable place and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Continue along the track, for 630 metres along the points A through to F on the plan. This is the entrance to Cobb Wood.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by blue paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
- The east boundary is indicated by green paint boundary trees and wooden posts set back from the edge of the track.
- The south boundary is indicated by yellow paint on boundary trees and wooden posts
- The northwest boundary is the hedge.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by Statute.
Rights Of Way
- There are no public rights of way in this wood.
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the council road up to the woodland boundary (marked ABCDEFG on the plan).
- A right of way is reserved over points GH for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.