Shrubbs Wood, near Tring, Hertfordshire. 4 acres of magnificent Chiltern beech and mixed broadleaf woodland for £52,000 (freehold) [#E915]
Set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and benefiting from good vehicular access, this Ancient Woodland is crammed with wildlife and venerable veteran trees.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 165.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SP 928 087.
- Centre of wood: SP 924 086.
Nearest postcode: HP23 6LT.
Shrubbs Wood is in a lovely leafy region of the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a few miles from the bustling market town of Tring in Hertfordshire. Being roughly equidistant from the M40, M1 and M25 motorways, the wood is easily accessed from much of central and southern England.
Forming part of a larger woodland, a recently upgraded hard granite track, accessible all year-round by a 2WD vehicle, runs to the boundary. Although the upper canopy is predominantly made up of impressively tall beech, there are also several veteran oaks. Ancient sweet chestnut stools, many of which have not been coppiced for many years, can also be found and further to the southeast are areas of younger birch and oak.
The ground is level and can be easily walked by foot, following one of the numerous tracks that pass through the woodland. Several clearings or glades can be found, a perfect location perhaps for a family camping expedition or to spot the diverse wildlife that nest in or visit this wood.
Several species of deer, such as muntjac, roe and Chinese water are known to this wood. Other mammals include badgers, numerous bat species and possibly the hazel dormouse. Of note, is the diverse bird population which includes owls, buzzards, woodpeckers, warblers and many others.
There is a plentiful firewood resource available at Shrubbs Wood, and even the possibility of thinning some of the valuable mature trees in places under the existing Forestry Commission thinning licence. A rich diversity of fungi can be found growing in these Ancient Forest soils along with numerous ferns and other native woodland flora.
If It Were Mine
I would undertake a light re-spacing of the younger birch trees along with periodic maintenance of the tracks and clearings. In the longer term I would consider re-establishing a sweet chestnut coppicing regime. Shrubbs Wood is a wonderful haven to be enjoyed as a contrast to the hustle and bustle of modern day life.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From Junction 11 of the A41 take the B4635 (or Aylesbury Road) towards Tring, after ¾ of a mile passing the sign to Tring take the second right called Park Road.
- Continue along Park Road for ½ a mile passing The Castle pub on the right.
- Take the next right along Hastoe Lane and continue for 800 metres passing under a bridge.
- Turn left and continue for 1 ¼ miles passing the turning to your right.
- You will see a gate on the right with our ‘Woods4Sale’ sign attached, please park here being careful not to obstruct the lane.
- Climb the gate (point A on the plan), sorry we do not supply keys for viewings.
- Continue along the track for 450 metres passing a left turn (point B) carrying on through the crossroads (point C).
- Take the left turn at the next junction and proceed for 50 metres until you see wooden posts with orange paint.
- Shrubbs Wood is ahead and to the left.
- The northeast boundary is marked by wooden posts and trees with orange paint.
- The southeast boundary is the outside edge of the track.
- The southwest boundary is marked by wooden posts and trees by blue and then green paint.
- The northwest boundary is the outside of the granite track.
We believe the sporting rights are owned and included in the sale of this woodland. We have no evidence to indicate otherwise. Part of the larger property may have been Copyhold and subject to Manorial Rights. There is an Indemnity Policy in place to insure against this possibility.
We believe the mineral rights are owned and included in the sale of this woodland. We have no evidence to indicate otherwise. Part of the larger property may have been Copyhold and subject to Manorial Rights. There is an Indemnity Policy in place to insure against this possibility.
Rights Of Way
- There is a right of way at all times and for all purposes for Shrubbs Wood from the roadside gate up to the woodland boundary marked ABCD and CF on the plan.
- A right of way is reserved over the routes DE and FG for the benefit of the woodlands beyond.
- All shared rights of way are covered by a maintenance clause, with liability according to use.
- There is a public footpath that defines the southeast boundary.
- There are no fencing liabilities.
- A planning condition prevents this woodland from having a new fence erected on the unfenced boundaries.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sales price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.