Matins Wood, Speen, 2.28 acres of Chiltern Beech woodland near to High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, for £35,000 (freehold) [#M1041]
Stunning mature beech woodland with a small number of mature conifer. With excellent access and near to the busy market towns of High Wycombe and Princes Risborough.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 165.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SP 843 008.
- Centre of wood: SP 843 008.
Nearest postcode: HP27 0RS.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Matins Wood is a highly desirable lowland beech woodland set in a quiet location. It forms part of a larger Ancient Woodland that has existed since records began in the 1600’s. The area has been woodland for hundreds of years and today is still one of the most wooded parts of England with over one fifth covered by trees. It is situated in rural Buckinghamshire off a quiet rural lane that leads to High Wycombe and on to the M40 which is within 8 miles.
The wood is dominated by stunning mature beech trees with some lovely specimens of oak in the mixture. There are also small numbers of larch trees peppered in the wood, the result of a previous objective to increase the diversity of tree species.
Inside the wood is a developed understorey, mostly holly but also young beech, oak and birch that provide a secluded feel to this otherwise open woodland. There is a rich ground flora including grasses, fungi, ferns, wood anemones, and bluebells.
The woodland’s topography is flat and sits with pasture meadows to one side. The yellow clay soil is fertile, retaining moisture, resulting in wind-firm and healthy trees.
Within the wood is a shallow pond that retains water and is a great draw for local wildlife.
This is a fantastic opportunity to buy your own piece of Ancient Woodland. There is also potential for income from the sale of timber for furniture and firewood. However, you may prefer just to enjoy the woodland as it is, Matins Wood being the perfect place to relax, explore nature and spend memorable times with your family.
The wood is serviced by a hard surfaced track and is easily accessible with 2WD vehicles at all times of the year.
If It Were Mine
The wood needs little work and silviculturally, I would undertake a little thinning of some competing trees to free some nice specimens in the understorey. This would produce useful firewood for the woodburner, or a small camp fire to enjoy with the children. I’d also consider digging out the pond enabling it to hold more water. But mostly I’d just relax and appreciate my surroundings.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From High Wycombe; leave town on the A4128 heading north.
- 1½ miles out of High Wycombe town you will come to a roundabout (not the mini-roundabouts inside the town), continue straight over the roundabout following signs for Hampden and Speen
- Drive through the village of Hughenden Valley, continuing on to Hampden and Speen.
- Drive straight through the village of North Dean.
- In the centre of Speen, turn right onto Hampden Road, signed for Great Hampden.
- Follow the Hampden road to the crossroads and take a left on to Bryants Bottom road.
- After ½ mile you will see a set of double steel gates on your left with our For Sale sign attached.
- Park where it is safe to do so, without blocking access, and climb the gate into the woodland. I’m sorry but we do not give out keys for viewing.
- Matins Wood is immediately on your left (point A on the plan).
- The north boundary is indicated by blue paint on wooden posts along the outside edge of the forest track.
- The northwest boundary is indicated with red paint on wooden posts and boundary trees.
- The southwest boundary is the agricultural fence.
- The east boundary is the hedge and fence along the council road.
The woodland comes with full sporting rights.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale, except where reserved by statute.
Rights Of Way
- A right of way is reserved over points AB for the benefit of the woodland beyond.
- A shared maintenance clause covers this right of way.
- There are no public rights of way within this woodland.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.
Woods4Sale Ltd hereby give notice under section 21 of the Estate Agents Act 1979 of their interest in the land being sold.