Ergot Wood, 1.96 acres of attractive Chiltern beech wood near the village of Woodcote in Oxfordshire for £22,000 (freehold) [#M1026]
Attractive stand of majestic beech with a healthy understorey. Set in the corner of an Ancient Woodland and served by a good hard track, just 25 minutes from Reading.
OS Landranger Series Sheet No: 175.
Ordnance Survey Grid References:
- Roadside gate: SU 648 808.
- Centre of wood: SU 647 809.
Nearest postcode: RG8 0RT.
This postcode will take you to the local area but may not take you to the woodland. You will need to use the location plan and directions as well.
Ergot Wood forms part of the larger Common Wood that is designated as an Ancient and Semi-natural Woodland, indicating that the land has been under continuous tree cover since before 1600 AD.
The wood is situated at the southern end of the Chiltern Hills near to the idyllic chocolate box village of Woodcote, just 10 minutes’ drive from Reading.
Walking through this quiet woodland, there are impressive stands of beech and oak with many of the mature trees being over 100 years old. The lower and emerging canopy comprises of regenerating young trees interspersed with open areas and dense pockets of holly. The woodland is diverse in flora and fauna with a rich display of grasses, fungi, ferns and seasonal woodland herbs underfoot. Typical for the region, this woodland has a vibrant deer population and you may come across roe and muntjac species whilst visiting.
The tranquil nature of the surroundings makes this an exceptionally pleasant wood that will appeal to a wide range of aspiring woodland owners. It is flat, with free draining fertile loams over chalk with flint deposits. The floor is uncluttered and there are plenty of hiding places to camp out for the night.
The woodland is accessible through a locked gate off a quiet country lane and along a hard surfaced track which is easily accessible by two wheeled drive vehicles at all times of the year. There is also a suitable turning and parking area making it easy to enjoy this attractive space.
If It Were Mine
Ergot Wood is the perfect choice for those looking to own a beautiful woodland for amenity. I would use it as a great place to spend some time with the children camping, making dens and getting closer to nature. There is also plenty of scope for the new owner to actively manage the woodland and produce good quantities of firewood for the family home.
To View This Woodland
You are welcome to view this woodland at any time during daylight hours. We do ask that you download a copy of these particulars and take them with you, mainly so you can correctly identify the boundaries and access points.
Residential Planning Permission
You are extremely unlikely to get residential planning permission for this woodland.
Directions & Access
- From the edge of Reading take the A4074 north towards Wallingford and Oxford.
- Approximately 1 mile past Cane End turn left onto the B4526.
- Follow this road for another mile and then turn right for Woodcote.
- The entrance for this wood can be seen on the right hand side of the road after 600 yards, indicated by a Woods4sale sign (point A on the plan below).
- Please park in a suitable place and climb the gate. Sorry we do not provide keys for viewings.
- Continue along the track, keeping left at the junction, for 190 metres to point B on the plan. This is the entrance to Ergot Wood.
- The northeast boundary is indicated by green paint boundary trees and wooden posts.
- The northwest boundary is the fence.
- The southwest boundary is just set back from road verge.
- The southeast boundary is indicated by red paint on boundary trees and wooden posts.
The sporting rights are owned and included in the sale. They are not let.
The mineral rights are owned and included in the sale except as reserved by Statute.
Rights Of Way
- There is a public foot path that intersects the east corner.
- There is a public footpath that intersects the east corner, (but the main track to the east appears to be used instead).
- There is a public footpath on the outside of the northwest boundary, (but a route just inside the wood boundary appears to be used instead).
- A right of way is granted for this wood from the council road up to and just beyond the woodland boundary (marked ABC on the plan).
- A shared maintenance clause covers all the rights of way.
There are no known fencing liabilities.
There are some restrictive covenants to protect the woodland and the environment. Please click on the button below to view these.
How To Buy
A visit to the woodland is essential before you confirm that you wish to buy it. We reserve the right to refuse to sell any woodland to purchasers who have not been to see it first.
This property is being sold on a Fixed Price basis. Once you have decided that you want to buy a woodland, you need to confirm this with us as soon as possible. Our policy is not to negotiate on price. The advertised price is the sale price. However, once you have written to us confirming that you want to buy a woodland, we will take the woodland off the market and we will not accept any other offer.
Please click on the button below for more information.
Maps & Plans
Plans, areas and particulars are for reference only. They have been carefully checked by us but we cannot guarantee their accuracy and they do not form a part of any contract. Prospective purchasers must satisfy themselves, and we will give as much help as possible with all information we have available.